Basic Fresh Applesauce Recipe
** What’s great about this recipe is that if you have apple that aren’t that great for slicing and eating directly but being too bitter or mushy.. they will likely work their way into great applesauce. Almost all apples will sweeten up with just the heating. No added sugar needed!
- Wash, core and cut into small chunks of 4-8 organic apples *or whatever quantity of applesauce you wish to make*
They should be organic if you plan to leave on the peel.
- Put apple chunks in deep pot with 1/4 cup of water to keep the apples from initially burning on the bottom of the pot and place the lid on the pot.
- Cook on medium heat and stir every few minutes and check for apples burning on the bottom of the pot. Keep the lid on to prevent the water from evaporating away.
- Once the cooked apples have turned mushy (about 15-20 minutes), you can mash / blend them to your desired consistency with everything from a just fork to a blender or a potato masher.
- Add cinnamon and other spices to taste. Serve hot or cold.
- If needed, add a pinch of salt to bring up the sweetness.